Table of Contents
Puff pastry with sweet cheese and yogurt filling is an extremely easy to make dessert recipe, also very delicious and filling. The uniqueness of this sweet pie is that it is made with puff pastry dough sheets, which you can prepare at home, or you can buy frozen ones from the store. This time I chose to use store-bought puff pastry dough sheets because time did not allow me to prepare them at home, since I needed a tasty and extremely quick dessert.
How to make puff pastry with Sweet Cheese and Yogurt filling?
As I already mentioned in the introduction, this puff pastry with sweet cheese and yogurt filling is an extremely simple recipe for a delicious and quick dessert. You have surely heard about Greek cheese pie with puff pastry, which is an emblematic dish for Greek gastronomy, and the recipe that I chose to present to you today is similar that one, with the distinction that I chose to prepare a dessert, using a combination between sweet cheese and yogurt, while in Greece, this dish is prepared using the famous feta cheese, thus obtaining a salty, savory pie.
In addition, for a particularly aromatic taste and considering the fact that Sofia is a fan of raisins, I chose to add these dried fruits to the composition of the cream that will fill and perfect the crispy texture of the puff pastry dough sheets. So, using very few ingredients, available to anyone, I achieved in a very short time, an extraordinary dessert, which can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days, and then be served hot or cold, according to everyone’s preferences.
What fillings can I use for puff pastry with sweet cheese?
Depending on the final dish you want to get, puff pastry with sweet cheese can be filled with sweet or salty compositions. If you want to get an appetizer pie, thus preparing a salty and savory puff pastry, you can use many ingredients for the interior composition, such as salty cheese, ham, onions or various other vegetables. Practically, these ingredients, mixed together, two or more, next to the fine texture of yogurt or sour cream, give you the opportunity to obtain a salty cream, ideal for preparing an appetizer pie using puff pastry dough sheets.
But if you want to get a dessert, as I did with this puff pastry with sweet cheese and yogurt filling recipe, then you can combine cream cheese with different fruits, or simply with yogurt, to get a creamy, sweet composition, which will perfectly complement the taste of the unique cheese puff pie. So, use your imagination, wisely choose the ingredients you find available, and don’t be afraid to try different combinations of tastes, flavors and textures, to achieve the type of puff pastry cheese pie you crave for.
How to get the perfect texture for puff pastry with sweet cheese and yogurt filling?
This unique dessert recipe is distinguished from others both by the ease with which it can be prepared, the extremely short time required for baking, but also due to the textures that are totally different, but also suitable, which are the basis of its preparation.
Basically, on the one hand, we have the fine, creamy texture of cream cheese layers for this pie, and then we have puff pastry dough sheets that are crunchy. But these two textures, side by side, complement each other perfectly, so that every bite of this cheese pie will tantalize your taste buds.
The secret that you must take into account, in order not to risk getting a cream that will flow from inside the layers of puff pastry, is the addition of eggs.
Eggs are the ingredients that bind the yogurt and the cream cheese, and once cooked at the high temperature inside the oven, will coagulate the entire mixture, so as to strengthen a little that cream that will seem extremely fluid during the assembly of the cheese pie.
But don’t worry, as long as you include eggs in the composition, once baked in the oven, your puff pastry pie will harden and you can cut and enjoy it without any problems.
Another important element is represented by the greasing of each puff pastry dough sheet with melted butter, thus ensuring that each layer used will become crispy, but not too dry, at the time of cooking at the high temperature from the oven.
And just like that, alternating the layers of puff pastry dough sheets with cheese and yogurt cream, you will get an absolutely fabulous section of pie, both in taste and texture.
Puff Pastry with Sweet Cheese Recipe
I made this incredible cheese pie dessert by using the Thermomix, to ease my cooking, but if you don’t own this kitchen appliance, you can easily use a mixer or a bowl and a whisk to achieve the same
Puff Pastry with Sweet Cheese and Yogurt filling
- 1 Thermomix / mixer / bowl and whisk
- 1 Baking tray
- 1 Baker brush
- 1 pc Package Puff Pastry Frozen Dough Sheets;
- 150 g butter;
- 650 g sweet cheese;
- 150 g yogurt;
- 4 pcs eggs;
- 2 tbsp brown sugar;
- 1 tsp vanilla extract;
- 100 g raisins;
- 2-3 tbsp heavy cream;
- Optional: grounded cinnamon.
- First, place the raising into a bowl and cover them with water. After approx. 30 minutes, drain the water from the bowl;
- Cut the butter into cubes and leave it at room temperature to soften;
- If you are in a hurry, melt the butter using heat);
- Also, leave the frozen puff pastry dough sheets to defrost for maximum 10 minutes;
- Meanwhile, add the following ingredients into the mixing bowl: the sweet cheese, yogurt, 2 eggs, brown sugar and vanilla extract;
- Mix them for 1 MIN / Speed 2 to achieve the sweet cream to fill the pie;
- Add the drained raisins and incorporate them into the cream using a spatula;
- Now that our filling cream is done, let’s start assembling the puff pastry sweet cheese pie;
- Then, preheat the oven at 180° Celsius (356° Fahrenheit);
- Meanwhile, prepare yourself a spacious baking tray and grease the bottom and the sides of the tray with melted/ soften butter, using a pastry brush;
- Place the first layer of puff pastry dough sheets on the bottom of the tray, making sure you leave a piece of dough available on easy side, to later seal the pie;
- Using the brush, grease the puff pastry dough sheets; IMPORTANT: You have to repeat this process, by greasing with butter every puff pastry sheet you will use;
- Now, add ¼ of the amount of the filling cream cheese with raisins;
- Place a new layer of puff pastry sheets, grease them with butter and pour some cream cheese with raising;
- Repeat this process until you use all the cream cheese filling;
- On top of the pie, after placing the top layer of puff pastry sheets, grease them with butter and then bend the remaining edges of the dough, to seal the pie filled with cheese and raisins;
- Now, make a mixture using 2 eggs and the heavy cream. Mix them well until you get a nice creamy egg wash with heavy cream;
- Pour this composition on top of the pie, making sure you cover the entire surface of the pie;
- Optional: For extra flavor, sprinkle some grounded cinnamon;
- Place the pie into the preheated oven and bake it for 35 minutes at 180° C (356° F);
- Leave the pie to cool down a little before cutting it into piece;
I really hope you will try this amazing cheese pie dessert and I am extremely curious to find out if you loved it. I honestly enjoy the easy way I can prepare it and I am a huge fan of the sweet cheese and raisins combination, so I hope you also enjoyed it.
Do not hesitate to share your thoughts, opinions or reviews in the comments section below.
Until the next easy and delicious recipe, I wish you all a great time spent with your loved ones. Bye 😊